Sunday, May 13, 2007

Beijing's Musical Talent

I was enticed by a blurb about 19-year-old pianist Wang Yujia described as the next Lang Lang.

I found her website (www.yujiawang.com) and read she has the same teacher as Lang Lang. So I had to see for myself.

She performed tonight with the China Philharmonic Orchestra led by guest conductor Shinik Hahm, a Korean.

I got a 180RMB (US$23.44) ticket, sitting upstairs, and just over the left side of the stage which was great because I would be sitting directly in front of Wang as she played the piano.

After the orchestra performed Bedrich Smetana's Overture to The Bartered Bride, Wang entered the stage in an emerald green strapless dress and blunt cut layered hair with highlights. Sort of a Chinese version of Anne-Sophie Mutter on the piano.

She played Franz Liszt's Piano Concert No. 1 in E-flat Major. And she played well -- full of confidence as she attacked the keys and stroked them during the gentle interludes. All said I have to say she isn't quite up to Lang Lang's standard, whose fingers seem to dance effortlessly on the keyboard.

Nevertheless, the audience loved the Beijing-born talent and she performed three encore pieces before finally leaving the stage.

After a quick intermission, the orchestra resumed with Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 in E-minor, Op 95 "from the New World". Great solos by the sax player and flautist.

Again two more encores, including Brahm's Hungarian dance.

I can't wait to see what other musical talent Beijing has to offer! Bring it on!

No comments: